The above media discussion was organized by the “Womens’ Action for Social Justice” (WASJ) and was held at the Nippon Hotel, Colombo , Sri Lanka on 15.03.2012 from 1400 hrs – 1600 hrs. Six audio visual and print media Institutions (VFM, BBC, MTV/SIRASA, Asia News, Daily News, Divaina and Dinamina) participated in this discussion.
The objective of this media discussion was to apprise the Civil Society and those in authority to combat the existing social, economic and political process in the Country based on power force and violence and what was required was a procedure with a human approach in lieu, based on womenly qualities ie. love and kindness.
Some of the questions addressed at the media discussion :-
- The necessity of a procedure to confirm the good governance in the Country and in it’s absence the existence of a series of problems.
- Cost of living, indebtedness and taxation placed on the masses should be prevented. As regards wastageand corruption which have become the order of the day, the masses have to bear the brunt of it. Suppression of those who speak regarding the existing situation in the Country.
- The new development process in the country was not for the general public. This had contributed to the deterioration of the production process. Grabbing of lands too was discussed.
- Women in the Country should not be treated as cheap labour, Although the women contribute immensely as foreign exchange earners no attention paid to their problems and grievances.
- The security of Women in the country and the Women’s position in the Country’s politics.
Those present discussed in detail that the present social, economic and political situation which pressurizes especially the women should be avoided.
At the conclusion, the media document formulated by the Womens Action for Social Justice was handed over to the media representatives.
The meeting adjourned at 1600 hrs.